Victim and Restitution Services

Probation works closely with the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office and victim support organizations to help with the emotional distress and financial losses that can occur as a result of being the victim of a crime. Please visit the Sacramento County District Attorney's Victim/Witness Assistance Program and Victims' Rights pages for more information, or visit our Additional Victim Resources page. 

​Victim Impact Statement and Restitution

If a loss is suffered as part of a crime, the victim of the crime may be entitled to restitution for the value of stolen or damaged property, medical expenses, and lost wages or profits due to injury or time spent as a witness or assisting the police or prosecution.

In order to receive restitution, you must complete and return the claim forms sent to you from the Probation Department.  It is important you respond promptly to any inquiries from Probation so the Department can ensure your statement and request for restitution are provided to the Court. You will need to provide copies of bills (including medical), receipts, insurance documents, and/or estimates to substantiate your claim. There is no guarantee, even if ordered, restitution can be recovered; however, the Probation Department, along with the Department of Revenue Recovery, will attempt to collect restitution on your behalf. The restitution process for victims of adult offenders and the restitution process for victims of juvenile offenders differ. You can find more information about the processes, below.  

Impact Statement and Restitution for Victims of Adult Offenders

Once an offender has been convicted of a crime, Probation contacts the victims in order to prepare a report to the Court with recommendations for sentencing; information is sent to the victim requesting his/her statement as well as documents to aid in the recovery of restitution. A statement may be asked to be given in writing, by phone, or in person. Victim statements should indicate feelings at the time the crime was committed; losses and/or harm suffered resulting from the crime; information concerning the defendant and his/her character; and feelings regarding a suitable sentence. At any time, the probation officer identified on the notification letter can be contacted for assistance with these documents and to answer questions.

If you need further assistance or have questions about the forms, contact the officer named in your letter or call (916) 874-1500.

A victim of crime has the right to appear, personally or by counsel, at sentencing and to express his/her views concerning the crime, the person responsible for the crime, and the need for restitution. For more information about appearing in court and sentencing recommendations, please contact the District Attorney’s Office at (916) 874-6218 or

Impact Statement and Restitution for Victims of Juvenile Offenders

Unlike the process in Adult Court, where victim statements and requests for restitution are taken following an offender's conviction, statements and restitution requests are taken from victims of juvenile offenders at the beginning of the Juvenile Court process for intake and social study reports. In fact, victims of a juvenile offender may be contacted by a Probation Officer immediately after the juvenile has been arrested.

Within days of the arrest and initial intake report, the Probation Department prepares a social study report, which includes both the victim impact  statement and request for restitution, and sends information about the report to the victim via postal mail.  Victim statements should indicate feelings at the time the crime was committed; losses and/or harm suffered resulting from the crime; information concerning the defendant and his/her character; and feelings regarding a suitable sentence.

Restitution claims must be submitted within 45 days from receipt of the request in order to be considered during the disposition (sentencing) of the juvenile. After 45 days or if restitution cannot be determined at sentencing, and as long as the juvenile is on probation,  victims may still be eligible for compensation; however, a claim and supporting documentation must still be provided. Once received, Probation can request a hearing so the Court can set an amount and collection can begin.

If you need assistance or have questions about the forms, contact the officer listed on your letter or call (916) 875-6868.

Victims of Violent Crimes

Probation recognizes that victims of violent and heinous crimes are significantly more traumatized and special care is needed in obtaining statements. In such cases, probation officers will meet personally with victims, as well as work in coordination with a Victim’s Advocate from the District Attorney’s Office.  Advocates can be contacted directly at (916) 875-6218.

Property Taken as Evidence

Law enforcement agencies may be holding property as evidence in your case.  Probation does not coordinate the release of property.  Please contact the District Attorney’s Office at (916) 874-6218 for information on release of property.​

California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP)

CalVCP provides financial assistance to victims when they have expenses that are not reimbursable by another source. CalVCP can help with expenses such as:

  • Medical and dental treatment
  • Mental health services
  • Income loss
  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Loss of support for dependents
  • Residential security
  • Residential relocation
  • Crime scene clean-up
  • Home or vehicle modifications
  • Medical equipment

A Victim's Restitution Guide​ (English)

California Victim Compensation Program Factsheet (English)

Victim Representative Fact Sheet ​(English)

Learn more and view all available publications at CalVCB - CA Victim Compensation Board​ or call the Helpline at 1-800-777-9229.​

Offender Release Notifications

The Sheriff's Inmate Release Elective Notification System (SIRENS) allows victims and other concerned citizens to register to be notified by email, text message or phone call when an offender's custody status changes. Users may sign up for notifications and search for an inmate via the search links provided. The SIRENS link is located near the bottom of the inmate's custody information page. Users can also register by contacting the jail at (916) 874-6752. This service allows crime victims to obtain timely and reliable information about criminal cases and the custody status of offenders 24 hours per day. For more information, visit the Sheriff's Sacramento County Inmate Information page.

SIRENS Brochure (English)

SIRENS Brochure (Spanish)